Communications Specialist & Journalist
firstname.lastname@example.org • http://sgnoticias.blogspot.com • http://ca.linkedin.com/in/sergiogranillo • @sergiogranillo
I am a Strategic Communications specialist. I can do research, analysis and identify potential risks and opportunities for a corporation. Capable of supporting high management levels to launch new initiatives and to establish relations with strategic stakeholders and with the press. I write speeches, newsletters, news releases. I design marketing collateral, magazines and electronic presentations. I am an expert in media relations and know how to use social media.
Fluent in English, French and Spanish.
ACHIEVEMENTS & SKILLS
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications Sciences (December 1989 with Honours)
Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM) – Campus Querétaro
Marketing Communications & Public Relations
• Created international marketing campaigns to generate positive media attention and attract foreign investment.
• Developed P.R. strategies targeting diverse audiences and organized international events.
• Successfully promoted commercial properties in 4 states in Mexico.
• Presentation skills and proficient in graphic design software: Photoshop, Corel Draw, In Design, PowerPoint.
Research & Analytical Thinking
• Prepared competitive intelligence projects.
• Performed primary research to write 3 government economic year books.
• Conducted interviews for research and to write articles for newspapers, magazines, radio and TV. Conducted on air interviews with politicians, mayors, ministers, scientists, scholars, artists, business leaders, etc.
• For several years I wrote editorials and opinion articles about Economics, Finance and Politics, published in newspapers, magazines, radio and TV.
Media Relations & Editorial Skills
• Advanced career from reporter to news director and editor in chief of a newspaper.
• As Editor in Chief of a Governor’s Official Newspaper, coordinated events coverage, performed interviews, wrote editorials and special reports, graphic design, picture research, proofreading, printing and distribution.
• Prepared in full a bi-monthly magazine, from writing to picture taking and graphic design.
• My work has been published for 20 years in Spanish media and in English in two Canadian magazines.
Global Financial Services & Trading
• Trader at the Latin Desk of Bank of America Merrill Lynch. Skills: trading, international logistics and languages (French, Spanish and English).
• Capital Markets back office experience (RBC). Learned trading and FX products, cash management and derivatives.
Bank of America – Merrill Lynch Account Manager Toronto, Canada 2012 - Present
Trade bank notes at the Latin Desk, negotiating with banks from South America, the Caribbean and Central America. SKILLS: Languages (English, Spanish and French), financial, customer service, analytical thinking, international logistics.
RBC International Business Centre FX Officer Toronto, Canada 2011 - 2012
Booking foreign exchange deals for business clients, support traders to confirm FX forward contracts. SKILLS: Numeracy, customer service, analytical thinking, business acumen.
RBC Capital Markets FX Confirmations Officer Toronto, Canada 2009 - 2010
Improved relationships with international customers, supported traders, by confirming foreign exchange trades with banks in USA, South America and Central America. SKILLS: Numeracy, analytical thinking, business acumen.
Royal Bank of Canada VIP Teller– Main Branch (Plaza) Toronto, Canada 2005 - 2009
Provided excellent customer service to high value clients, supported relationship managers. SKILLS: Customer service, banking services.
State Commission of Access to Public Information
P.R. /Media Relations Coordinator Querétaro, México 2004 – 2005
Improved relationships with the press, designed in full the monthly magazine. Organized the First International Congress of Freedom of Information. SKILLS: Communications, writing, building partnerships with stakeholders.
Freelance Communications Consultant Mexico City, México 2002 - 2003
Advised in Communication Crisis Management, Market Intelligence and Editorial projects. SKILLS: Analytical thinking, impact and influence, marketing research, editorial design.
TV Azteca News Director Querétaro, México 2001 - 2002
Coordinated reporters and cameramen for a daily newscast. SKILLS: Excellent written and communication, tight deadlines, work under pressure, team leadership.
State Government of Queretaro Editor in Chief Querétaro, México 1998 - 2001
100,000 items per month publication - I coordinated reporters, photographers, cartoonists, columnists, printers and graphic designers; supervised printing, distribution, proof-reading and writing editorials on behalf of the Governor.SKILLS: Editorial, writing, graphic design, proofreading, people management.
CBRE Real Estate Agent - Commercial Querétaro, México 1997 - 1998
Successfully promoted commercial buildings in 4 States in central Mexico. Clients: Kellogg de México, ING Seguros, Banco del Bajío, General de Seguros, CRECE and SEMARNAP. SKILLS: B2B Marketing, sales, business acumen.
QUESTA de México Marketing - Project Manager Querétaro, México 1995 - 1997
Designed interactive-multimedia solutions for corporations, like Bancomer, Mabe/G.E., R.C.I., Club Regina, Cervecería Cuauhtémoc, ITESM–Campus Qro. and City of Querétaro. SKILLS: IT, programming, marketing and graphic design.
Ministry of Economic Development C
Communications Officer Querétaro, México 1992 - 1994
Generated positive media attention and interest among foreign investors at the start of the NAFTA Agreement. Organized international fairs and special events. Wrote 3 Government Economic Year Books, the most important reference book for market research or business plans. I was in charge of media relations too. SKILLS: International Marketing, Media Relations, research, special event logistics.
El Financiero Reporter Querétaro, México 1990 - 1992
Worked as journalist, news caster, news director and analyst in newspaper, radio and TV. SKILLS: Interviewing, writing, media.
* FREELANCE / VOLUNTEER (JOURNALISM AND MEDIA)
The Messenger (Newsletter) Editor (Volunteer) Toronto, Canada 2009 - Present
I edit a weekly newsletter for Parkdale United Church and support them with marketing collateral, taking photographs and doing press releases.
The Canadian Newcomer/ United Church’s The Observer Feature Writer (Freelance) Toronto, Canada 2009 - 2010
Started to write articles in English for Canadian magazines.
El Correo Canadiense Columnist (Freelance) Toronto, Canada 2003 - 2008
Wrote an editorial column for a Spanish newspaper based in Toronto.